pipeline theory

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sat Dec 15 05:49:37 PST 2001

Thomas wrote:

Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:41:48 -0800 (PST) From: Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> Subject: Re: the pipeline theory

So, my question is what is Russia getting out of the deal of joining the US Alliance? If we agree with this article then there is at least a possibility that the pipelines might be built (thus subverting the Rusians economically), and US just declared it intended to dump SALT aggreements and build the Missile Defense Shield.

What are the Russians getting out of the deal...if anyting?

I say:

1). Jackson-Vannik is going to be repealed.

2). Accelerated entrance to WTO.

3) Pressure to get Germany to write off Soviet-era debt.

4) Strengthen its influence over the Central Asian countries and Afganistan in particular.

5) Most importantly, the Taliban and Al-Qaida were funding the Chechen militants.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal