Worldview 2002

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 13:32:18 PST 2001

I'm posting this on behalf of Jon Jost. He's an old anarchist film maker who went to prison in the 60s as a protest against the draft. So one of the good guys.

These kinds of projects have an inbuilt bias towards the wealthier westerner - so anything to bring more marginalised people in would be great, as the contrast in lifestyles will be very revealing. For example imagine a split screen, with a palestinian life on one side, and an Israeli on the other.

So if you're interested, or can put is in touch with people who would be, that would be greatly appreciated. ___________________________________________________

WORLDVIEW 2002:

We are a group, operating from www.DV.com (Community > Forums > Cinema Electronica), planning on making in the coming year a global portrait, to be posted on the internet, and at the conclusion turned into an installation work and perhaps some kind of linear cinema piece to show in festivals or other suitable venues.

Our present plan is that participants shoot a one minute shot each week, under a minimal bit of aesthetic and topical guidance so as to make the total communal work coherent. Of this minute, those who can would be asked to post 10 to 20 seconds of each shot to a website presently being established for this purpose. Simple instructions will be given for posting. At the conclusion of the year participants would be asked to post their tape (or a copy) to me, Jon Jost - moderator of Cinema Electronica, to assemble (with lots of community advice, I hope) into a work presentable as an installation, DVD, and/or tape.

The central intention is to attempt to make a global portrait - the world, circa 2002, as seen through the eyes of those participating. We hope to attempt as well to be inclusive of those - the vast majority of humans - who do not have the means and cannot afford to so show their world.

Our intention is to begin on January 1, 2002, so time is short. If you can participate, or can point us to web addresses or email lists which would be useful in broadening our participating members, please let us know.

Thank you,

Jon Jost, on behalf of those working on the WORLDVIEW 2002 project at Cinema Electronica. (laragreen at netscape.net) supposed to be nuts and bolts and technical stuff on it

BASIC GUIDELINES (thus far)

Each participant is to make a one minute shot each week of the year, beginning January 1, 2002.

The shot is preferably to be done on DV, 3 x 4 screen proportion, color, sound.

The camera is not to move during the shot, nor should there be any zooming.

The shooting should make a progression over the 52 weeks through the diurnal sequence, morning. midday, evening, night. (If inconvenient to maintain this sequence in shooting order, it is OK to shoot out of order and edit into diurnal sequence on completion, hence scrambling the seasonal passages which is OK).

The shots should include approximately 1/3rd which is "personal" showing self, family, friends and that life; 1/3rd showing "work," and the things involved in that work - getting to/from etc.; and 1/3rd dealing with the world away from oneself - preferably with those who do not and cannot (usually for financial reasons) express themselves, especially via such a medium as film or DV.

During the period of the year participants should post, if they have the means available, 10 second sections of each shot each week to a website being established (the format and such technical requirements are being determined now). The material will be available for viewing by anyone visiting the site.

At the conclusion of the year the tape or a copy of it should be sent to me, Jon Jost. I will attempt to find a way to order/select in a manner suitable for a DVD &/or CD-ROM, for a linear presentation, and for an installation work. All participants will be credited and will be given a copy of the DVD/CD-ROM. It is my assumption that I, with the help of those participating, will be able to find festivals and other venues for showing this project in various forms. I think I can more or less assure an exhibition at the ZKM, and probably at a summer long exhibition in Rome.

Should be some amazing quirk the project make money in any manner, it would be shared equitably with those participating, or perhaps preferably it would be given to some good cause mutually agreed upon.

Once further technical or aesthetic guidelines and requirements are determined, we'll let you know.

As some people ask "What is the for?" I confess I don't have an easy answer. I sense it to be a kind of gathering of evidence, of life on this planet - preferably secured from as wide a net as possible - from which those making it and those who might see it can be surprised and learn things. What - well, we'll find out.

Below are URL addresses for letting those participating know you are joining, and for seeing what discussions have already gone on, and entering yourself. Welcome and thanks much.

PS: We are seriously lacking in participants from Central and South America, Africa, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, and South East Asia. If you know of people, or mailing lists centered on these areas, please forward this on. Thanks.