Shaw on Herman

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Fri Dec 14 12:37:33 PST 2001

Luke Weiger wrote:

> > Maybe you mean internally displaced people, not people expelled from
> Kosovo.
>
> Yes, internally displaced, as in already fleeing from the Serbs. Whether
> that means they were "expelled" from their villages is a matter or
> interpretation, I suppose.

The fact that a lot people were displaced from their homes during a civil war doesn't mean ethnic cleansing was going on. I challenge you to name a civil war in history that didn't result in mass displacement. There are millions of displaced in Afghanistan now, but nobody claims ethnic cleansing is taking place. If anyone has evidence that before late March 1999 the Serbs were trying to execute a policy of permanently changing the ethnic balance of Kosovo, I'd like to see that evidence. I've never seen any.

Of course the Serbs did start implementing such a policy once the US made clear it had decided to ally its air power with the KLA. That happened with Clinton's announcement that airstrikes were inevitable, on March 19 1999.

Seth