permissiveness

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Fri Dec 14 12:16:19 PST 2001

salon has a pretty negative review of the West book, co-written with a white female economist named Sylvia Ann Hewlett. I only breezed through it, but it seems that the reviewer (Joan Walsh) is sympathetic to the basic purpose of the book and the politics of the authors (she calls them "left leaning liberals"), but thinks they give way too much to the conservatives and make some misguided criticisms of feminism. also, the whole first part has each of the authors telling their 'personal stories' and then there's a dialogue section that has worked in the past for West but in this case is forced and doesn't work so well. see http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/1998/04/cov_23feature.html

I understand your aversion, Max, my basic tendency would be to just ignore and dismiss these zingers from the right whackos, except I now am getting the feeling--as you also seemed to imply in an earlier post--that these messages are getting out there and the sources of the views and their ulterior political motives are buried beneath the platitudes. I'm feeling like we have to have a response to this and so I'm wondering if there aren't good people doing serious work that can refute the madness and not concede authority in these areas to the conservative agenda. Aren't there any people who are taking on the Bennetts and these folks from a left perspective?

Mat

From: Max Sawicky