Rational Discussion of Threats and bush's deal

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Dec 14 12:08:26 PST 2001

Hi,

I guess I really do not understand why it is not OK to think that al Qaeda is a real threat, but recognize that Bush is hyperbolically using the threat to push an aggressive brutal agenda. I can recognize that the US is a big threat, and still recognize that al Qaeda is a relatively smaller threat. Why do so many people want to make it an either/or question?

The same thing happens when talking about domestic state repression and US neonazi groups. Just because the US state has more guns, does not mean that we should ignore the dangers of armed White supremacists with a history of murder.

Isn't it the binary thinking that gets us into a jam?

-Chip Berlet