permissiveness

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Dec 14 06:04:22 PST 2001

Rhonda Williams mentioned that she heard a variant of this on talk radio as well ("the first person in the room who mentions 'race' is a racist"), but I've never understood what the argument is exactly. Max, can you give a summary of the 'justification' for this claim?

One common tack is to characterize any demand for remedial action as racially-focused, ergo racist. This of course does have an intellectual pedigree, albeit a spurious one.

Another is to focus on any pecadillos that can be found in liberal minority pols, and lord knows there is no lack of those, and by never raising such things with others, imply that all who crusade against racism on the left are themselves racists.

More often than not, it isn't anything resembling an intellectual argument. The tactic is to seize on the whatever phrase can be taken out of context or misinterpreted, add whatever fictitious 'facts' support the argument, and then turn the argument around. Nobody is around to offer any contradiction. It's about who can pay for a microphone.

I was actually thinking of moving to Kensington. It seemed like a great place to live. It happenes to be the local HQ for the Mormons, so it's possible some of their brethren had some role in the recent unpleasantness, though I doubt they were at the bottom of any overt anti-semitism. It's hard for me to get off that incident. It's as if somebody burned a cross in a public place in the next town, and it was either ignored or mischaracterized by local media in a benign way.

mbs