permissiveness: the cause of terrorism

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Dec 13 16:30:16 PST 2001

This is a generic line being peddled by all sorts of far-right wackos. We have a stable of them on our local "Clear Channel" (sic) station that I've been listening to for a couple of weeks.

It's starting to get to be too much for me, but their tactics are consistent and interesting, in a perverse way, and possibly important insofar as they have real political effects:

Anyone who raises the issue of racism is a racist. Anyone who objects to exclusion of non-christian symbols from secular, state activities is an anti- christian bigot. Anyone Democrat or liberal who criticizes foreign or defense policy is a traitor. Every bad thing that happens is attributed to liberals; the big things are on Bill Clinton (including OBL). Etc. etc.

They freely make up facts to fit whatever argument they make and readily call anyone who offers contrary facts to be liars. They win arguments by shouting over people, hanging up on them, and then declaring how stupid they are when they are off the phone and can't respond.

There was a particular bit of ugliness right next door to me here in liberal Montgomery County. For a few years some families next door in Kensington had asked the local gov to include a Menorah in the holiday exhibits. The mayor said something to the effect, if we had this we would have to include Hindu and Voodoo, etc. The Council voted to exclude Santa Claus along with Menorah's, in a clumsy effort to be even handed. (The X-mas Tree would remain, however.) Next thing you know, there is a national uproar about Santa Claus being banned that the radio boys play as jews banning Santa, period. The Council caves and says Santa can stay, there is a mob of Santas at the holiday ceremony, as well as one large anti-semitic sign ("If Jews can ban Santa, why can't we ban Jews?") The local TV media ignore all the ugly stuff and play it as the whimsical triumph of Santa and the Holiday Spirit. One local radio mouth announced one of the jewish family's addresses on the air, which resulted in drive-by religious slurs at the family's residence. The only place the story was brought out was in an op-ed by one of the Post's editors.

You might think the stupidity of the radio people would hamper their impact, but when I listen I don't get that impression. I hear otherwise reasonable-sounding people calling in as if they are talking to someone who is not a sick fuck.

mbs

A Jeff Jacoby has an article in the Boston Globe, "Blame Lindh's Permissive Parents." According to Jacoby, it all started with Lindh's parents letting him listen to hip-hop music (although later in the article, Jacoby implies that it may have begun much earlier, when the Lindh's named their son after John Lennon!). From there it was all downhill--he read Malcolm X's autobiography, converted to Islam, went to the Middle East, and ended up in the Taliban. Now that's some subtle analysis of the relation of culture, politics, and social psychology folks! Actually, if we follow Jacoby's convoluted logic, we get quite a different result. . . .