Rational Discussion of Threats and bush's deal

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Thu Dec 13 13:41:22 PST 2001

Charles Brown:

> Since this is the left business observer, if this was a business deal,
would you trust George Bush, Cheney and > Rumsfield when they come to you and ask for your money guaranteeing that this will be a war to end terrorism and that this the > sure and best way to prevent any future terrorist attacks on you and yours ? Would you make the investment ? I sure as hell > wouldn't . The whole thing stinks. And you don't have to be a marxist leninist to smell that.

I never said I trusted Bush and Co. I think the Patriot Act, among other authoritarian measures now being undertaken, is very dangerous, has not been adequately debated nationwide, was rushed into place by a set of statists who desire more and more control of the populace. I also said that while al-Qaeda is a real threat, the way Bush went about engaging it left much to be desired, as well as leaving possibly thousands of Afghan civilians dead with countless more to starve. Many here on this list seem to think al-Qaeda is a minor irritant that will fade away with time -- nothing to get too nervous about. This is a mistake. It is a very real threat to a good many people, from the innocent to the vile, and there are ways to acknowledge this without endorsing the self-serving way Bush/Ashcroft/Rumsfeld are exploiting it.

DP