permissiveness: the cause of terrorism

brettk at unicacorp.com brettk at unicacorp.com
Thu Dec 13 13:49:33 PST 2001

Hi Mat,

Jeet beat me to the punch in explaining who Jacoby is. He is truly awful.

Anyway, I was channel surfing on the radio last night and happened upon Laura Ingraham's talk show. She made the same point about this guy's parents, insinuating that they were vile liberals who purposely raised a treasonous son. What struck me was how conservatives usually try to pin the "bad upbringing" argument on liberals and lefties, who supposedly argue that criminals are just misunderstood or had bad childhoods. Then they go on to ridicule that viewpoint and say how we need to be tough on crime, etc. Apparently they can believe that upbringing and environment can be important when political points are at stake.

Brett

"Forstater, Mathew"

<ForstaterM at umkc.edu To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

> cc:

Sent by: Subject: permissiveness: the cause of terrorism

owner-lbo-talk at lists

.panix.com

12/13/01 04:26 PM

Please respond to

lbo-talk

A Jeff Jacoby has an article in the Boston Globe, "Blame Lindh's Permissive Parents." According to Jacoby, it all started with Lindh's parents letting him listen to hip-hop music (although later in the article, Jacoby implies that it may have begun much earlier, when the Lindh's named their son after John Lennon!). From there it was all downhill--he read Malcolm X's autobiography, converted to Islam, went to the Middle East, and ended up in the Taliban. Now that's some subtle analysis of the relation of culture, politics, and social psychology folks! Actually, if we follow Jacoby's convoluted logic, we get quite a different result.

1) How many kids have listended to hip-hop music in the last 20 years? Multiple millions, no doubt. How many joined the Taliban? One that we know of.

2) How many terrorists listened to hip-hop music growing up? After all, isn't hip-hop one of the symbols of decadent American culture that Osama bin Laden's followers abhor? It is likely that most of the parents of children who became terrorists did not allow their children to listen to hip-hop.

So, I guess Jacoby would have us all promote hip-hop listening to our children. That would seem to make the odds against our kids becoming terrorists.

Who is this guy anyway? Does anybody know?

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/347/oped/Blame_Lindh_s_permissive_pare nts+.shtml

Mat