From Nestor on Argentina

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 22 15:01:39 PST 2001

Nestor writes on Argentina's resources:

2.8 million sq. kilometers 800 000 sq. km of excellent prairieland At least other 800 000 sq. km can be redeveloped as grazing land 36 million people High average cultural level of the mass of the population in spite of depredation of 25 years Important consumption traditions which may trigger a good movement towards filling the gap between what is desired and what is available thus supporting a self-centered economic growth. Rundown but existent industrial base to begin again. Still owning an interesting science / technology secdtor. Interesting mineral resources in iron, copper, gold, and many other minerals.

But, above all, and unlike Cuba,

Self sufficient in foodstuffs, energy sources and clothing.

To wit: the most widespread myth by our reactionaries was that "Argentina's ailment is territorial extension".

We can be told anything BUT small. As Yoda would say, "large we are enough to break the IMF the back". And we are very angry.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky

=====

Carrol