Global Capital, Empire and Argentina

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 22 08:35:11 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Argentina's room for maneuver is very limited. It's a small country
> with big debts. It has less wiggle room than a larger country, like
> Brazil.

About 15 years (give or take 5) ago in the WSJ there was a fascinating article proposing deliberate default as a strategy for third-world nations, and the example it gave was Argentina. The writer imagined an Economics Minister named Aquinas-Marx. I can't remember many of the details now. Does anyone on the list remember it?

Also -- is Argentina really that small of a country?

Carrol