return to normalcy (cont.)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 21 17:52:47 PST 2001

Carl Remick wrote:

> It would be easy to make fun of the many references, early on, to 9/11 as
> "the day when everything changed forever."

It will be some time (like a decade or so) before we _know_; my guess is that things haven't changed much at all. And I'm sure that is the best hypothesis on which to base political planning; any other course is pure crystal-ball gazing, since if "things have changed" we have no idea at the present time how they have changed. What you call miltarism is mostly homecoming-day pep rally fever.

Incidentally, a useful word for historical analysis, "milaratism," is being grossly misused when applied to mere war-fever or gung-ho attitudes towards killing people. Look it up.

Carrol