efficiency in marriage

P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk
Thu Dec 20 09:25:06 PST 2001

Consider the following extracts from a recent abstract:

Marriage as a signal

"This paper applies the economic theory of signalling to marriage. .... [and] argues that marriage helps individuals to signal to each other and to the outside world their desire for a sexually exclusive, permanent union. However, modern legal and social trends have greatly reduced the credibility of this signal...This development represents a major loss of information... The paper concludes with some observations on cohabitation and same-sex unions. for signalling reasons, the present legal distinction between marriage should be retained or even strengthened...[and] ... there could be a marriage-like [!] institution specifically for same-sex couples...."

This was for a paper by Bob Rowthorn at the recent European Association for Evolutionary Political Economy in Siena.

Personally I think this makes the paper Doug drew to our attention seem fairly sensible.

Julian Wells OU Business School The Open University Walton Hall Milton Keynes MK7 6AA United Kingdom +44 1908 654658