How To Do What

P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk
Thu Dec 20 13:08:27 PST 2001

Cian O'Connor wrote:

>Do people think that competitive markets, where people
>had equal access to capital, would necessarily be a
>bad thing?

I do. Markets obscure the social connection between producers: 'a market economy means never having to say "sorry"', as you might say.

It's not just about access to capital (by which I take it you mean the material means of production: tools and the knowledge to use them) -- capital in the sense of money already presupposes capitalism.

Julian Wells OU Business School The Open University Walton Hall Milton Keynes MK7 6AA United Kingdom +44 1908 654658