[Fwd: Re: The Incoherence of the Cantos]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 20 06:49:29 PST 2001

This post is probably only partially interesting to most lbo subscribers, but the image of Kahn's ass in hell squirting oil is one I wished to share on this list.

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: The Incoherence of the Cantos Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 18:30:29 -0500 From: "R.Gancie/C.Parcelli" <alphavil at IX.NETCOM.COM> Reply-To: - Ezra Pound discussion list of the University of Maine<EPOUND-L at LISTS.MAINE.EDU> To: EPOUND-L at LISTS.MAINE.EDU References: <8e.200d9481.2951498c at aol.com>

Garrick Davis,

I very much enjoyed your piece in CPR where you skewered Casillo et al. But I can't tell whether your broad query is tongue in cheek; whether you are simply playing the devil's advocate or...

I just came back from having dinner with the Modernist critique, Brad Haas. During the course of the meal I related your email concerning the lack of self-sufficiency in much of Pound; in essence that the Cantos do not achieve aesthetic homeostasis. Of course, questions of self-sufficiency depend more on the reader/critic/scholar than on the writer. A poet may write to generate response, but that response is only sustained if there is something there to sustain it. However, this is a too large and amorphous subject for an email.

After I related your email, Brad's response was that it was astonishing that you would use the internet for such a comment. To his mind internet technology had simply caught up with Modernism where the luminous detail could be traced for its resonance and edification. He said he flashed on the idea (which is not knew) when I described for him the effect of Modernist poetry on search engines. Our magazine, FlashPoint, has received an enormous number of hits lately, as many as a thousand a day. For a while we just scatched our heads. But one evening while I was preparing an article on the large number of Iran-contra figures who are now nuzzling up to the Caspian Sea Trough, I discoverd that my parody of The Divine Comedy was repeatedly referenced and high up in the listings. If you typed in Frank Carlucci and Caspian Sea a section of the parody came up because of the action in the poem. The protagonist with his guides is rapelling down a cliff face and lands on the inverted and exposed ass of Herman Kahn of On Thermonuclear War fame. Then Kahn's ass erupts and a gusher (shit=oil) containing the 'memorabilia' of U.S. Foreign policy since World War II shoots like a geyser passed the protagonist's eyes. The section even ends with a parody of Pound at his most self-sufficient: "Polyps in a wet black bowel." The shit smeared remnants of U.S. Foreign policy plops down all over the net. And my FBI file gets a little thicker.

Modernism is ideally suited for the net whereas less obscure poetics with a more ubiquitous vocabulary illuminate the reader in a different way; a way that perhaps helps explain the growing hunger for Pound scholarship and high modernist voices. Carlo Parcelli, Alphaville Books