Global Capital, Empire and Argentina

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Sat Dec 22 15:51:17 PST 2001

Brad,

as recent as 2/3 years ago, both IMF and WB put Argentina as the star all LDC should follow. All the problems facing today were there, not as deep and intense, but were there, income distribution and poverty had worsen, money from privatization was used to increase spending and pay for "fees". The only good thing was low inflation, but both internal and external equilibrium were lacking. Now, of course, formally, the IMF does not anticipate measures, each coutry runs to the IMF looking for help, but it is undeniable that both institutions and the US Govt. (the Washington Concensus) favored the Argentine regime.- Now, they have nothing to do.

Worse, we had to listen to Economists on CNN blaming Cavallo for "sovietizing" the country, come on.