FT Letter: ICC can't try terrorists

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 22 20:49:58 PST 2001

>[Calling our international lawyers brigade: could this be true, that the
>ICC is limited in its jurisdiction to "state actors"? And then only to
>state actors who have signed up?]

I haven't read the treaty, but a couple of general comments occur to me. First, if the court doesn't exist yet, it can't try anyone. When it exists, its jurisdiction may or may not be retrospective. I can't see why the US signing or not is crucial, if it has jurisdiction. The fact that some of the acts involved in 9/11 occurred on US soil isn't obviously crucial. Apparently there's a consensus that the Hague has jurisdiction over acts committed in Rwanda and Bosnia and Kosovo. As to the "state actors" question, even if the ICC has jurisdiction over state actors, the Taliban are state actors,even if they are unrecognized; I don't believe anyone had a better claim to be the govt of Afghanistan through fairly recently. One might argue too that the US has conceded the state action question by treating 9/11 as an act of war, and treating the T and al Qaida as pretty much interchangeable. All that said, if the US gets hold of OBL or any other principals, its is unlikely to relinquish theem to anyone else. The US surely has jurisdiction over criminal acts committed on its territory, btw. jks