A Modest Proposal for The Empire

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Dec 23 07:16:35 PST 2001

Chris Burford:
> The only thing is that the Empire does not impose trust territory status.
> It withholds funds until the people of the territory can sort it out
> themselves, on imperialist terms (ie those of global finance capital)

I think the articles praising overt imperialism are one side of a debate now being conducted among the world bourgeoisie on how to clean up remaining pockets of resistance and run the world smoothly. The problem for the fans of overt imperialism is that covert imperialism, such as control through banking, investment and trade, selective support of opposing groups and states, and the like, has often worked well, and overt imperial measures have often proved disastrous, Vietnam being the example _par_excellence_. Generally, patience and cunning have worked better than war. But for a person who is convinced of his superiority over others, and his right and duty to rule them, the reversion to direct exercise of violent power must have a strong emotional attraction, especially if it can be ordered from one's desk, or a spacious conference room in some city of the higher civilization. It's a kind of letting one's hair down, of letting it all hang out -- and sometimes, when they let it all hang out, what hangs out is a bloody talon.

-- Gordon