Global Capital, Empire and Argentina

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Dec 23 10:18:08 PST 2001

>I don't know what the intentions of Negri & Hardt were, and I
have
>ceased to be very interested in what its admiring readers get
from it,
>but it looks very much to me as a banal replay of the
traditional tune
>of the ultra-left: All is hopeless. Struggle is pointless.
>
>Carro

On the contrary. Their message is sort of mixed in my opinion. Like you, I haven't given it too much attention. On the one hand they point to the fighting spirit of the masses and oppressed. (Recent examples would be rioting Argentinians and the assassination of a racist Israeli cabinet minister. Their proto-example is the IWW.) On the other hand, you have Yoshie quoting approvingly their characterization of NGOs and "civil society" groups as latter day Dominicans or Jesuits who "provide cover" for the "new imperialism." I remember Ed Herman repeatedly bashing human rights groups b/c they wouldn't critisize capitalism, the "root cause."

To me this goes against their more optimistic, generous, catholic message of the book. They use an Ani DiFranco quote at the begining: "Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right." To me this would hold true for NGOs, civil society and "working within the system" as well.

I would characterize Herman as ultra-leftist. And you and Yoshie and Fitch. All foreign incursions by the U.S. should be opposed. The state is necessarily the enemy. This sounds too pessimistic and is throwing in the towel too early.

Peter