Global Capital, Empire and Argentina

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 23 15:42:22 PST 2001

--- Chris Burford <cburford at gn.apc.org> wrote: But Hardt and Negri are essentially
> correct that national
> resistance against the increasingly integrated
> global forces of
> imperialism can at best now only be rearguard
> resistance, and may sometimes
> be reactionary.

Of course I agree with you Chris. However, I dont want to be on record as thinking that the struggles this last week in Argentina were "useless". I think that it raises the level of subjectivity and I think we can see more struggles like this..that turn into a cycle of struggles.

now it seems at least in some cases to
> be people from a
> Trotskyist background who are most insistent that no
> radical reforms are
> worth fighting for at a global level as part of a

You noticed that too! The truth here in the US is that I dont really see much difference between the trotsyists and stalinists these days in this regards.

The idea that I have is that there may sooner or later be cycles of these struggles that break out and at that point it will be harder and harder for global capital to manage them. As Negri points out in a recent interview with "Multitudes", global capital has three weapons at its command...the bomb, money and communication. One can imagine if a critical mass is reached, their control of communication (media, etc) might be ineffective...or less effective. We have seen them using the bomb in Afghanistan, but they know that this is a weapon could at a certain point turn public opinion against them...then there is money.

Oh well, sorry for thinking out loud...No reason to try and anticipate what will happen. We'll take it as it comes.

> The demonstrators who were in Seattle need to find
> ways of linking up with
> the demonstrators in Buenos Aires this week. Because
> on their own each
> group will fail.

On their own they will not resolve the issue of global capitalism...however, these struggles play the important role of unleashing people's subjectivity. We begin to see the man behind the curtain and we begin to get the idea that he (they) can be defeated.

Thomas

> Chris Burford
>
> London

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx