Global Capital, Empire and Argentina

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Dec 24 02:19:59 PST 2001

Since 1991, male life expectancy in Russia has dropped about 10 years (to 58) while female life expectancy has stayed about the same. I assume this holds true elseehere in the CIS.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal.

---------

Yooshie wrote:

In 1990, Amartya Sen published an article titled "More Than 100 Million Women Are Missing" in the _New York Review of Books_ (20 December 1990). Have conditions of women generally improved since then, relative to men's? Or have men's conditions relative to women's radically deteriorated since in some nations?

>FEMALE POPULATION, % of total, 2000
>
>Antigua and Barbuda 54.4
>Latvia 54.0
>St. Lucia 53.9
>Ukraine 53.5
>Russian Federation 53.2
>Estonia 53.0
>Belarus 53.0
>Cape Verde 52.9
>Lithuania 52.8
>Moldova 52.5
>Georgia 52.2
>St. Vincent and the Grenadines 52.2
>Hungary 52.2
>Virgin Islands (U.S.) 52.1
>Portugal 52.1
>Swaziland 51.9
>South Africa 51.8
>Puerto Rico 51.8
>Croatia 51.7
>Netherlands Antilles 51.6
>Kazakhstan 51.6
>Uruguay 51.5
>Mozambique 51.5
>Barbados 51.5
>Italy 51.5
>Slovenia 51.4
>Central African Republic 51.4
>Armenia 51.4
>Poland 51.4
>Cambodia 51.3
>Equatorial Guinea 51.3
>France 51.3
>Finland 51.3
>Bulgaria 51.3
>Slovak Republic 51.3
>St. Kitts and Nevis 51.2
>Czech Republic 51.2
>Spain 51.1
>Burundi 51.1
>New Zealand 51.1
>Japan 51.1
>Congo, Rep. 51.1
>Macao, China 51.0
>Grenada 51.0
>Channel Islands 51.0
>Kyrgyz Republic 51.0
>Belgium 51.0
>Romania 51.0
>Germany 50.9
>Azerbaijan 50.9
>Argentina 50.9
>Sierra Leone 50.9
>Haiti 50.9
>Djibouti 50.9
>Botswana 50.9
>United Kingdom 50.9
>El Salvador 50.9
>Lebanon 50.8
>Greece 50.8
>Austria 50.8
>Lesotho 50.7
>United States 50.7

Nations in which women outnumber men at a higher ratio than they do in the USA seem to fall into a bewildering variety of categories, economically and politically (from Haiti to Belgium, Russia to France). We might ask why so many men are missing in some nations. - -- Yoshie