neighborhood news

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 24 07:03:02 PST 2001

New York Post - December 24, 2001

NO PHOTO OP FOR ANTI-PANTY RALLY By ANGELINA CAPPIELLO

December 24, 2001 -- About 20 Upper West Side residents who've been complaining about larger-than-life posters of lingerie-clad models on a soon-to-open Victoria's Secret store staged their scheduled demonstration yesterday - undeterred by the disappearance of the photos three days earlier.

"We're not prudes. We're not against underwear," said Richard Sharp as he marched past the posterless windows at Broadway and 85th Street brandishing a sign saying, "It's no secret. You are not welcome."

He sensed a conspiracy.

"They knew about this protest," Sharp said. "That's why they took down the pictures."

Protester Miriam Lieberman complained the models on the vanished posters had been "displayed in a very sexual way.

"I'm in this neighborhood and I see the standard of morality dropping," she said.

A spokesman for the chain could not be reached, but the store had no shortage of defenders in the neighborhood.

"We miss the pictures," said Liza Featherstone, who lives nearby.