A Modest Proposal for The Empire 9

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Dec 24 09:07:47 PST 2001

At 1:10 PM -0500 12/23/01, Doug Henwood wrote:
>It took nine long quotes to make what point? That some right-wingers
>are nostalgic for 19C colonialism?

Doug, it isn't wise to underestimate the intelligence of liberals and right-wingers. They are not being nostalgic for 19C colonialism; they are manufacturing consent to an aspect of 21C imperialism, i.e. peace-keeping & nation-building missions in response to failed and failing states on the periphery.

At 9:03 PM -0500 12/23/01, Mina Kumar wrote:
>May I conclude from your remarks that you think these are obvious
>points that require no references? Would you say that they are
>obvious to the world at large or the world of leftist discussion?
>Would you say that there is a common minimum program of assertions
>(of which the above propositions form a part) to which
>self-identified leftists subscribe? Would you say that a response
>to nostalgia for 19C colonialism would be a part?

What I would like to know is whether left business observers (as opposed to liberals and right-wingers) have any objection to peace-keeping and nation-building missions in response to failed and failing states on the periphery (of the sort discussed in Modest Proposals for The Empire) _in principle_, rather than criticizing only _how_ they are carried out. -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>