Global Capital, Empire and Argentina

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Mon Dec 24 14:15:12 PST 2001

Juan Jose Barrios wrote:

>>Economic measures in Argentina (for the next 60 days??):

> 1. Default: no interests payments, no principal payments (if any);

> 2. Third Currency: Treasury Notes...to pay for emergency expenses, such as

> #3......;

> 3. Employment Program of 1m jobs supervised by an NGO...Provinces must create

> ANY job and the Govt. will pay 200 "notes" (dollars). This quasi-currency will

> float against the dollar;

> 4. No devaluation, no dollarization,.1peso=1"note"=1 dollar.....

> comments???

Here's a comment by a guy who's an adjunct at Columbia's School of International Affairs in a Reuters dispatch dated today (12/24/01) about an hour ago NYC time. I also attach the commentators interesting bio - does anyone know whatthehell is the "Latin Finance Research Olympics"?

john mage

``It is the abandonment of the technocrat approach and the rejection of the Washington consensus,'' said Walter Molano, an analyst for the U.S.-based BCP Securities.

``There are no PhDs from Harvard or Chicago in the Cabinet. All of the IMF/World Bank alumni are gone,'' said Molano. ``They were replaced by Peronist Party loyalists.''

Walter Molano Adjunct Assistant Professor of International and Public Affairs

13th Fl IAB 212-854-3213 wm142 at columbia.edu

Publications:

* The Logic of Privatization

Biographical History:

* U.S. Naval Academy, 1983

* M.B.A., Hofstra University, 1988

* M.A., International Relations, Certificate in International Law, St. John's University, 1991

* Ph.D., Duke University, 1995

* U.S. Naval Flight Officer, U.S. Navy, 1984-1991

* Flight Officer, 1985-1988; Project Manager, Grumman Aerospace, 1988-1991

* Senior Economist and Vice President for Latin America, CS First Boston, 1995-1996

* Executive Director of Economic and Financial Research, Warburg Dillon Read, 1995-1998

* Partner and Head of Economic and Financial Research for Latin America, BCP Securities, Inc., 1998-1999

* Member, Council on Foreign Relations

* Latin American Advisory Council

* Trinity Board, Duke University

* Latin American Studies Association, Advisory Board, Columbia University

* Gold Medal Category, Latin Finance Research Olympics, 1998.