A Modest Proposal for The Empire

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 15:26:43 PST 2001

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote: Doug himself, in
> his original account
> of Negri & Hardt, made _the_ damning criticism:
> their utter vagueness in
> suggesting the practical import of their
> maunderings

Carrol,

Hardt and Negri examine the present political and ontological landscape in "Empire".

It is true that they dont prescribe exact actions to be taken in "Empire". There is no recipe book for this novel situation...the desires and movements that form as we go forward will determine the various directions that the multitudes take. I think Hardt and Negri are quite conscious of the fact that they dont have a recipe book...and would have it no other way.

I know this diqualifies Hardt and Negri as having any legitimacy since you leninists already know everything and know how things should work (and look at the societies you have created with your wisdom!). But fo some of us believe that we are in a political laboratory where we have to invent.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx