A Modest Proposal for The Empire

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 24 17:21:38 PST 2001

Margaret Ladd wrote:

> --- Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I know this diqualifies Hardt and Negri as having
> > any
> > legitimacy since you leninists already know
> > everything
> > and know how things should work (and look at the
> > societies you have created with your wisdom.)

Perhaps Thomas was not on the list when Doug issued one of his intermittent challenges to provide a "scenario" for revolution, and I repeatedly refused to provide such. I'll have to try to find the set of posts which led someone (I forget who) to jump all over me because I argued that revolutionary conditions (a) can not be generated by plan nor can they even be described in advance. The world in detail is always William James's buzzing blooming (and unpredictable) confusion. As a _person_ Lenin's greatness was his refusal to lose his head when everything he had more or less predicted turned out differently. Unfortunately _that_ particular aspect can be raised to theory and reproduced.

Carrol