A Modest Proposal for The Empire

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 25 04:05:14 PST 2001

>Thomas Seay wrote:
>
>>--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>>Doug himself, in
>>> his original account
>>> of Negri & Hardt, made _the_ damning criticism:
>>> their utter vagueness in
>>> suggesting the practical import of their
>>> maunderings
>>
>>Carrol,
>>
>>Hardt and Negri examine the present political and
>>ontological landscape in "Empire".
>>
>>It is true that they dont prescribe exact actions to
>>be taken in "Empire". There is no recipe book for
>>this novel situation...the desires and movements that
>>form as we go forward will determine the various
>>directions that the multitudes take. I think Hardt
>>and Negri are quite conscious of the fact that they
>>dont have a recipe book...and would have it no other
>>way.
>
>I made that criticism, but I also said the book was richly
>suggestive for what the praxis-minded should do. For those practical
>minds who were open to fresh experience, of course.
>
>Doug

Since when have you become an ascetic, though, Doug? :-0 The image of "the future life of communist militancy" in _Empire_ is that of "Saint Francis of Assisi":

***** Consider his work. To denounce the poverty of the multitude he adopted that common condition and discovered there the ontological power of a new society. The communist militant does the same, identifying in the common condition of the multitude its enormous wealth. (p. 413) *****

If that's attractive, why not Dorothy Day & the Catholic Worker? -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>