A Modest Proposal for The Empire

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:52:37 PST 2001

>From: "Greg Schofield" <g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au>
>
>CARL:
>"Presto, capitalism seems to have changed again and reverted to classic
>form
>in the last three and a half months. Post 9/11, we now have in-your-face
>imperialism that is indistinguishable, IMO, from the 19th-century original.
>Now that we're living under the global dispensation of Uncle Sam as No More
>Mr. Nice Guy, it's reasonable to assume that Marx's insights into the
>overtly brutal system that he witnessed will have new relevance."
>
>Carl be serious "indistinguishable"?

Yes. I think we're back to the gung-ho Onward Christian Soldiers self-righteousness that made imperialism so richly satisfying emotionally to the Victorians. Plus, we share the Victorians' enthusiasm for using high-tech weaponry against impoverished societies in order to Teach Evil a Lesson. As Hilaire Belloc had it: "Whatever happens, we have got / The Maxim Gun, and they have not." Well, we've got Daisy-cutters, and they have not.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx