South Korean school kids singing praises of bin Laden

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Dec 26 11:20:50 PST 2001

South Korean school kids singing praises of bin Laden

SEOUL, Dec 26 AFP|Published: Wednesday December 26, 2:41 PM

http://www.theage.com.au/breaking/2001/12/26/FFX3IEEZNVC.html

School children in South Korea are singing the praises of Osama bin Laden to the dismay of school authorities, newspaper reports said today.

School authorities in the southern city of Pusan and its surrounding province of South Kyongsang said they were wracking their brains to think of a way of discouraging children from singing the "bin Laden worship song", the Joongang daily said.

Police in Pusan and the city's education office asked elementary schools there to stop students singing the song and educate them as to why the man suspected of masterminding the September 11 terrorist attacks in the US is not someone to be admired.

The police and education authorities have also been searching for the origin of the song, without success.

The song, which is sung to the tune of a popular cartoon's theme song, goes as follows in its English translation: "Osama bin Laden, the person I admire most. I will be a terrorist when I grow up. President Bush, the person I detest the most."