Holiday cheer

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 26 15:19:04 PST 2001

Carl posted:

>[From today's NY Times, though it carries a Dec. 19 dateline --
>guess they saved it as an Xmas present:]
>
>December 25, 2001
>
>Blacks Who Voted Against Bush Offer Support to Him in Wartime
>
>By KEVIN SACK

***** The latest New York Times/CBS News poll, taken from Dec. 7 to 10, found that nearly three of every four blacks and nine of every 10 whites approved of Mr. Bush's performance.

The poll's sampling of blacks was not large enough to measure the support for Mr. Bush with precision. But its general findings are reinforced by other polls, including a Gallup survey taken Dec. 14-16 that found that more than two-thirds of blacks approved of the president's performance. In early October, Mr. Bush's approval ratings among blacks exceeded 80 percent in the Gallup poll. <http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/25/national/25BLAC.html> *****

Let's look at the poll this way: one of every four blacks, and one of every 10 whites, either don't approve of Bush's performance or don't give a damn. If all the dissenters become politically active, we'll have a great social movement. Let's also remember that it takes courage to say to strangers, pollsters included, that one doesn't approve of the President, opposes the war, and otherwise deviates from expected patriotic answers. For all respondents know, wrong answers could get reported to authorities. :-0 -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Anti-War Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/>