Marxism and "Science" (Was: Comic Book Marxism)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 10:02:33 PST 2001

>Justin Schwartz:
> > .... These must be informed by ideas derived from scientific
> > theorizing--for example, there is no point in advocating ideals that our
> > best theories tell us are unattainable. Vice versa: scientific research
> > shoiuld be guided by ethical choices, political decisions, and directed
> > realizing feasible utopias.
>
>But how do we know what's _feasible_? Anthro does not teach
>us the choice is narrow; on the other hand those with an
>affection for the established order are forever telling us
>to face the reality they have helped to create.

Obviously we cannot be sure. This is not a matter that can be decided a priori or in the abstract. You have to took at the arguments in each case--maybe look at the very hard, for the reasons you suggest. People will come to different conclusions. These matters will be discussed. As is notorious here, I have come to the conclusion that the theoretical and empirical arguments based on the last century's experuence show that a nonmarket society that is also modern and prosperous is not feasible. I don't want to start that debate again here, but just to offer it as example of the sort of concrete, specific, detailed, and exhaustive argument that is necessary. It will not do to say that because scientific arguments about what might be feasible can be and often are misused to argue that only the present order is feasible, that therefore we must abandon all such inquiry, and simply strive to achieve what would be nice regardless of whether it makes sense to suppose that we could get it. I do not say that you say any such thing, but some around here do, or say the equivalent, which is that because we cannot be sure about what is feasible, we can know and say nothing about it. The future is a matter for inquiry, just as is the past. All knowledge is fallible, and all conclusions tentative. That does not mean we should go at it blind.

jks