Marxism and "Science" (Was: Comic Book Marxism)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 08:38:54 PST 2001

>Well, I wish you luck. I have found that the most
>unimpeachable and cogent evidence, the most irrefutable
>logic, when it does not fall upon deaf ears, is met mostly
>with gibes and asseverations of true faith. Even the kindly,
>familiar ministrations of common sense are spurned. War is
>peace, and so on.
>
>Not, of course, in lbo-talk.
>
>I fear that science could make progress only as long as it
>meddled with odd particles nobody cared about. The science
>of society deals with which side of one's bread is buttered,
>and indeed with whether one gets any butter or bread at all;
>and thus the answers it gives can only be the answers that
>power allows it to give.
>
>-- Gordon

Hobbes once said that if it opposed any man's right to rule that the proposition that the interior angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees would be suppressed. (He may have used a difference geometric proposition.) Of course this is true, and it shows the limits of what can be achieved with reasoning. But that just shows that reasoning is not enough, not that we shouldn't do it. jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx