Marxism and Logic and Science and Comic Books

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 09:29:47 PST 2001

>Sorry, the question is whether Hegel's Logic is consistent. See
>Bertrand Russell and the Brit rejection of Hegelianism on that one.
>Completeness is out for any system of logic that incorporates simple
>arithmetic.
>
>%%%%%
>
>CB: Isn't Hegel famous for Logic with contradiction at the center ? Did
>Russell really solve his paradox ?

Goedel's incompleteness theorum has nothing to do with Hegel or contradiction. The theorem states that in any formal that is powerful enough to formulate simple arithemetic, there is at least one true proposition that cannot be proved within that system. The theorem shows that arithmetic cannot be reduced to logic. It does not show that logically incompatible propositions are true. As for Hegel, he did not posit that they could. His notion of contradiction is not logical, but ontological. It is a misleading effect of the development of the use of words that we use the term "logic" to describe the properties of formal systems, while Hegel used it to describe metaphysics. He was concerned with the nature of reality; logic, as normally used, is not. In the context of Hegel's logic, a contardiction is a dynamic instability in a phenomenon that makes it tend to change into a phenomenon with a different nature and character. It is not an asserion that p & not-p, as an ordinary logical contradiction is. jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx