Marxism and science

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 13:29:22 PST 2001

>CB: I didn't intend to imply that you suggested that [Lenin's and Engels']
>theories were wrong, rather that I was seeing substantial agreement between
>yours and theirs.

Very likely, since we were both inspired by Marx.

>%%%%>%%%%%
>
>CB: Yes, I see what you mean. I'd say Newton's theory is relatively true,
>not strictly false. All interesting theories are "strictly " speaking
>false, because we don't have absolute truth. Well, that Napoleon is dead
>is absolutely true.

I'd use "approximately" rather than "relatively."

>CB: You may have mentioned it in the course of this thread and I missed it,
>but the test of theory other than practice is what ?

Predictive power, explantory adequacy, simplicity, the usual litany.

>You'd have to give an example of inconsistent theories being proven equally
>valid by practice.

This is the thesis of underdetermination. The evidence underdetermines the choice of theory. So too does practical success. Actually, the example we were discussing would do. You can launch rockets and build bridges just as accurately with relativity theory as with Newtonian mechanics, though the first will be a lot more bother.
>CB: Yes, nice argument turning Marxism' epistemology on itself.
>
>One thought I have is that I am not sure the analogy is set up correctly.
>The objects of study in natural science wouldn't cognize the theory as part
>of its fulfillment or failure, whereas here, the "objects" as "subjects"
>can cognize.

Why does that make a difference here?

>I think Marx recognizes a qualitative difference between natural and
>historical science.
>
>My version of your "paradox" is to say if all Marxist revs have failed ,
>then Marx's theory fails his own test of practice; But I think Marx gives
>his theory an epochal timeframe, so we might expect we are still within
>his time "limit".

ACtually, I think Marx can say that even if all revolutions always fail, the theory is vindicated if it explainsd why they failed, e.g., ideology. Small comfort that would be, however.

I am off on holiday for a week, see you all later.

jks