A Modest proposal for the Empire

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sat Dec 29 06:59:34 PST 2001

I think that Carrol is quite right here. It is simply too early to tell whether imperialism will benefit or suffer in the long term because of 9/11. On the one hand the events of 9/11 themselves can be seen as a blow to imperialism inasmuch as they exposed the vulnerability of the US to terrorist attack. It was certainly a psychological blow to the American populace who have lived in a country that has not known foreign attacks on its soil since 1812, and where prior to 9/11 such attack had seemed to be inconceivable. And it would seem to be rather foolish IMO to think that others may not be inspired to launch similar attacks in the future of possible even greater destructiveness.

On the other hand, in the short run at least 9/11 can be seen as boon for imperialism, since those attacks have given the ruling class the political cover required for its undertaking of a campaign that appears aimed at reinforcing US domination in the Middle East and the Islamic world generally, and especially at soring up US control over oil-producing regions. It has enabled the imperialists to launch a "War on Terrorism" that seems intended to serve as a replacement for the apparently now lamentedly ended Cold War which had played such a useful role to imperialism in the past.

But then again, whether or not all this will benefit the imperialists in the long run, remains to be seen. Probably, the greatest danger from their standpoint is that of hubris, especially after the seemingly easy "victory" in Afghanistan. Many of the Bushies are very eager to go after Iraq and other countries, where there seems less of a prospect for such easy victories. There is a great danger of them overplaying their hand, and of thus causing the much predicted backlash among the Arab masses that would topple such US-friendly regimes as Barak in Egypt, the Jordainian monarchy, and perhaps the biggest prize, the overthrow of the House of Saud.

Jim F.