Archives?

Scott Martens sm at kiera.com
Sat Dec 29 12:08:06 PST 2001

Document Style Semantics and Specification Language - see http://www.jclark.com/dsssl/ in the event anyone actually cares. DSSSL is totally out of date, and I don't think anyone uses it anymore. Nowadays, it's all XSL and XPP and CSS for those who aren't up to buzzwords that start with 'X'. I converted a background in French translation into an expertise in SGML through a certain amount of creative resume writing and a lot of time on the 'Net figuring out which were the good buzzwords. After a few interviews and rejections, it seemed clear that HR people were scheduling interviews based on nothing more complicated than string matching. Getting through the interview with real tech people required actually knowing something, but getting your foot in the door is all about buzzword compliance.

Think of it as my contribution to undermining capitalism. ;^)

Scott Martens

-----Original Message----- From: Bradford DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Saturday, December 29, 2001 8:10 PM Subject: Re: Archives?