How Do IMF Economists Justify This?

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Sat Dec 29 17:02:06 PST 2001

what is even funnier: a debtor country must at the same time, be a net exporter of goods and services but also OF CAPITAL, since debt (principal and interests) needs to be repaid....non sense, you are right. This strategy worked for the Asian Tigers for a while, but then export markets get saturated and their export prices fell, so they needed other sources of revenues, i.e. more sophisticated products....

If you have not done it already, I suggest (sorry Doug!! :-))) to read what Paul Davidson has to say on Global Financial Architecture...