Marxism and "Science" (Was: Comic Book Marxism)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Dec 30 11:56:25 PST 2001

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001, Ian Murray wrote:

[huge snippage]
> Does A. N. Whitehead or Annette Baier or Wilfred Sellars or Hannah
> Arendt or Willard Quine or D. T. Suzuki really look primitive compared
> to H.? I don't think so...........
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

And this is why this Hegelian Spiel is unsatisfying to me: there's no clear means of verification or contradiction! Talking to somebody wild about Hegel is precisely like talking to a fundamentalist Christian: everything fits perfectly into their world view, every mistake other people make illustrates that Hegel/fundamentalism is correct, every event clearly verifies the superiority of the System to those in the Know.

I don't mean to single out Hegel here, much philosophy is like this. Give me late Wittgenstein any day!

Miles