Marxism and "Science" (Was: Comic Book Marxism)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Dec 30 15:09:53 PST 2001

ravi wrote:

> you can bring an idea, any idea
> arrived at by any means to the table. it will be called science if
> your context of justification is "scientific".

This would seem to have a similar force to Marx's reply to the reporter's question, "What is?" "Struggle."

Most of what I have ever heard called "science" reveals, upon examination, that it has involved, at some point, a conscious effort to change some part or aspect of the world, if only by staining a slide or digging up a layer of earth. If you want to know what a pear tastes like you must change the world by biting into the pear.

Carrol