Marxism and "Science" (Was: Comic Book Marxism)

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Sun Dec 30 16:47:39 PST 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Schofield" <g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au>

> Now all this gives you more then enough ammunition to condemn me as
some-kind of Hegel cultist, in fact, going on a post sent after this one - this is already your opinion. OK again fine, I can live with this, but what are your solutions? In this I find from what you have said the question cannont really be posed as in a sense you seem to be saying everything is alright with Marxism as it is except for those you disagree with. It is a position which gives you a free hand and such liberty of mind can be healthy.

============ Sorry, but I made no such claim that you were a cultist. Apologies if what I wrote implied that in any way. Why the ammo metaphor? I think we should be as critical of Marx as we are critical of Kant or Popper or Arendt or Murray. As I've said many times on this list, I'm happy to be wrong if it enhances individual and collective learning; that's what healthy discussion-debate should be.

> I cannot help but think that such intellectual freedom does make it
particularly hard for me to reply. So far the single position you have offered has been that science is a social practice and while I'll concede a lot can be said on this topic and it can be far more elaborate than this simple sentence, I still scratch my head as to what, if anything, this gives us (In have read this argument before and then came to the conclusion that it was non-answer more designed to diospense with the question then anything else).

> Now as the thread has gone, I have attempted to put a position
(whatever its faults and they are sure to be many), and then seem to be being dismised because I have - the world viewed mypoically through Hegelian specticles would seem to be the most cogent arguement againt what I have said, which of course can be carried out by reaching for any type of argument from any source so-long as it is not Hegel. Now forgive me but it seems that your position is defined by anti-hegelianism rather than a positive position following some distinct line of reason.

> Ian, though I have to leave for a week in a few hours I would like
to resume this thread with you on my return if that is alright. Above is my challenge, that is put forward your own view on science and Marxism and I will criticise that for a bit - afterwards we may find some common ground for at the moment we appear to have very little.

> Greg Schofield
> Perth Australia
> g_schofield at dingoblue.net.au

========== Have fun and sure, lets continue the discussion if you feel so inclined upon return.