Marxism is a science

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 10:23:44 PST 2001

--- Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote: > Cian says:

> >Because the statements of Marx could not be
> >falsifiable, Marxism is not scientific.
>
> You have yet to prove your hypothesis that "the
> statements of Marx
> couldn't be falsifiable."

I suggest that you read "The Poverty of Historicism". I am not Popper, and it's been a few years since I've read him, so my paraphrasing of his theories would be hopelessly inadequate. I don't have my copy to hand, or I'd quote from it.

> BTW, is Popper's theory falsifiable?

Popper's theory doesn't claim to be scientific. Being scientific is not a mark of legitimacy. However unscientific theories cannot take advantage of the scientific toolset of predictive induction etc.

It's worth bearing in mind that in Marx's day, being scientific was a used as a mark of academic respectability and modernity. More a buzz word, than a description of philosophical rigour.