Hitch loves you

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Dec 31 12:15:29 PST 2001

On this point, I agree with Hitch. I think the mindless sloganeering sustituting for concrete analysis of the present sitution after S11 was one of the most depressing things I have experienced in years. We lost the debate on the war and even more on the peace, because the public analysis of the "peace movement" was so disconnected from the reality experienced by the general population that they tuned it out. The media may have contributed with their press blackouts, but that was true in many past peace movements and the message got out on the streets. On this movement, I personally know many LEFTISTS who were tuning out the peace movement because they found it so uncompelling in its lack of analysis. Forget the liberals who were actively alienated by it.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Robert Dean" <qualiall_2 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 2:02 PM Subject: Hitch loves you

"Members of the left, along with the far larger number of squishy "progressives," have grossly failed to live up to their responsibility to think; rather, they are merely reacting, substituting tired slogans for thought. The majority of those "progressives" who take comfort from Stone and Chomsky are not committed, militant anti-imperialists or anti-capitalists. Nothing so muscular. They are of the sort who, discovering a viper in the bed of their child, would place the first call to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals."

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/12/hitchens.htm

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com