Hitch loves you

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Mon Dec 31 12:43:43 PST 2001

> Hmm, isn't Hitch a bit too concerned with the "muscular" here? Yet
> another intellectual trying to appear tough and manly?
>
> Doug

He's not alone, and what's tragically funny about this is that Hitch and so many others of his profession are either overweight, flaccid, weak and/or scrawny (the one exception I can think of is Andrew Sullivan who makes a big deal about his weightlifting). Not one of them could throw a decent punch, much less take one to the gut; and I suspect that most would flee at the mere sight of firearms. But they can cheer on those who are willing and able to kill and maim. It excites a good number of them, makes them feel like "men" -- Ann Coulter included.

HITCH ANECDOTE # 764: Years ago while we were drinking on the rooftop of his apartment building in DC, Hitch and I demonstrated to each other our respective physical abilities. I had studied a variety of martial arts and showed Hitch my flexibility by snapping a roundhouse kick next to his head, stopping just shy of his ear. Not to be outdone, Hitch then placed his left hand on a railing and leapt over it in one vault. He made it, but just barely; and I still have the memory of his tubby little frame in mid-air, his long hair flying back, Rothman butt firmly in his lips. His wife Carol looked at us like we were dopey kids, which I suppose we were.

DP