Indonesia

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu Feb 1 06:20:33 PST 2001

Hi again (it's now Friday here, so this is my first post for the day, heh heh)

So the report has been accepted, and Wahid is a bee's dick away from impeachment. Could be, of course, that his danger lies not in the assembly, but out in the streets, where a mostly young, middle-class and metropolitan cohort (much like Megawati's street support back in '99) is turning the screws. Looks like Wahid's supporters are wheeling in support of their own, from the Javanese countryside, where, perhaps, his Muslem credentials count for more than they do with Java's youthful bourgeoisie. I'm not sure Wahid is as stricken as we're led to believe. After all, he's not guilty yet - he just has a formal case to answer - the issue for him is quickly to save face.

That said, it seems there's an awful lot of heat in the streets. Is there, I wonder, a third element at work here? Is some fanning of the flames going on here?

Have we forgotten the Golkar right and the Magalang hard-line uniforms too quickly?

Or are my dark musings the product of an imagination fleeing from the mundanity of my thesis? Rob.