Just in time for Davos

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Feb 1 18:23:36 PST 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Jonathan Lassen wrote:

> Where do you get 28% from? According to the 1995-6 OECD survey of Japan
> quoted in Brenner's NLR article, investment as a percent of GDP in Japan
> fell to 14% by 1994.

Gross fixed capital formation, the standard measure of investment the OECD uses. Brenner is probably talking about business cap formation or some subelement of the total. The ECB's monthly reports have Eurostat's estimates of gross capital formation in Table 12.2 of the ECB's Monthly Report (page 141 of the January 2001 edition). It's available as a PDF file from <www.ecb.int>, and shows GCP declining from 29.8% in 1996 to 26% in 1999, which is still way above the US and EU. Since Japan has started to recover, especially in the cap-intensive export sector, 28% is a ballpark figure.

> This is from "THE USE AND ABUSE OF JAPAN AS A PROGRESSIVE MODEL"
> by Paul Burkett and Martin Hart-Landsberg
>
> because it is less dependent on military power. We believe that the
> recovery of Japanese imperialism in the post-World War II era occurred
> symbiotically with the evolution of U.S. imperialism, as the U.S., in
> order to redistribute the costs of its own hegemonic activities,
> encouraged and supported Japanese efforts to reconstitute its sphere of
> influence in East Asia. This symbiotic development occurred

True from 1945-75. Since then, it's a whole different world-system, one mediated by multinational capital, not Pentagon warlords.

-- Dennis