Imperial Pokemon

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Thu Feb 1 18:47:48 PST 2001

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, JC Helary wrote:

> about censoring it etc. it did not happen. violence here is
> everywhere, in fact it is totally part of the socialization process,
> from the very early days of primary school. physical violence starts
> in club activities (junior high) but psychological violence starts
> earlier, with the strict hierarchy that is set between different age
> classes, elders have the right to say what they want to youngers (even
> with only a 1 year difference). the language used for sempai (anyone

Pretty much every culture on the planet has similar forms of violence, though. I remember from my own high school days being mugged, bowled over by a stomach punch, hassled as a geek, etc. The hierarchies are more subtle in the US, but they're still there.

Any sign of the Japanese high school system significantly changing?

-- Dennis