Empire: Hardt responds

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 23:16:46 PST 2001

Rob Schaap wrote:

> I thought Mad Max was shite,
> too - looked like a long video for some
> death-metal outfit to me.

You've got this bass-ackwards -- death metal videos look like *that* because of Mad Max. The plot was pretty standard Western issue, but visually, it invented the rural version of the Blade Runner dytopia. I liked it. But perhaps not so much as to demand two sequels. And I sort of indirectly blame it for the rest of Mel Gibson's career.

But at least it's not the benighted anime. "Like a cartoon, only with worse animation".

dd