Empire: Hardt responds

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Feb 2 22:01:58 PST 2001

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, [iso-8859-1] Daniel Davies wrote:

> dytopia. I liked it. But perhaps not so much as to
> demand two sequels. And I sort of indirectly blame it
> for the rest of Mel Gibson's career.

Hey, "The Road Warrior" was awesome. Great plot which shows that the community is more important than any individual, tremendous effects, and that sound-track -- the scenes with the Wolf Child alone are priceless. Humongous is one of the great video depictions of a faceless, rapacious capitalism, which has outgrown its military-industrial pedigree and taken on a new and highly allegorical kind of mask, and faces off against Mel's premonitory cyberpunk info-guerilla. Very progressive, compared to Cameron's neoconservative "Terminator" or Scott's wishy-washy "Blade Runner".

> But at least it's not the benighted anime. "Like a
> cartoon, only with worse animation".

*Bzzt.* The Revolutionary Command Council hereby sentences you to a mandatory viewing of "Evangelion" (the TV series, not the flix). If that's not in, "Wings of Honneamise" will do in a pinch (I will admit that "Akira" sucks).

-- Dennis