Empire: Hardt responds

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sun Feb 4 01:16:26 PST 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Rob Schaap wrote:

> Everyone's been prattling on about cyberpunks as if they've something to
> say.

It all gets said in Gibson's "Neuromancer", and most of it is unflattering to capitalism.

> their own, coz he doesn't realise he's one of 'em. Or don't you like the
> bit where, a little the wiser, he chooses to jump ship with a bad actress
> rather than wreak howwid wevenge on the penthouse bosses?

They flee to a mythical northern suburbia, though. If he had somehow teamed up with the clones instead of blowing them away, things might have gotten interesting, but the striking visuals and neo-Victorian machine-dolls aren't matched by a subjective content. Scott wouldn't address the issue until "Thelma and Louise"; in fact, if you could somehow clone the latter's plot machinery onto "Blade Runner"'s armature, that would make a great movie.

> Loada bollocks, I thought. Boy saviour, spunky henchtartlets, mad
> scientists ... all set off by lousy animation ... zzzzz.

I disagree. I'm doing a close reading of Eva for my book project, and the thing is spectacular, it keeps surprising me with new content, new materials, subtle touches, things I hadn't seen before, etc. It's the Moby Dick of the Information Age, only with Tokyo-3 instead of the Pequod -- and written from the standpoint of the whale.

-- Dennis