A Topic Too Hot to Handle

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Mon Feb 5 18:14:08 PST 2001

Well, not exactly. Hitler was never actually elected into the Chancellorship by popular vote, instead he was hastily hustled into office after the Nazi electoral surge began to wane (and that of the KPD began to surge). And it's pretty clear that the "emergency" was for the long duree - hence no need to 'scrap' the Weimar constitution. Just as with our very own "National Security State" regime - with the permanent counterrevolution, it is precisely the point to avoid the appearance of actually scrapping the sacred Constitution.

Nazism and classical fascism in general was but the 'extraordinary' preview of what now is a 'normal' aspect of our present reality, revolving in an out of view as the occasion requires. So Sharon the fascist is sited quite differently that his classical predecessors. Recall that Netanyahu insisted on parliamentary elections alongside that for the prime ministership - he intended to rule through parliament. Sharon, facing an uncooperative parliament, could resort to extra-parliamentary means vis-a-vis the Palestinians - certainly the apparatus, historical precedent and the mass political will are there - it only requires intent on Sharons' part. If Sharon unleashes an even greater reign of terror against the Palestinians, Bushs' Washington and the liberals will wag their fingers disapprovingly while positioning themselves for the next round of parliamentary elections. Sharon will then swing out of view, having blasted the way for the liberals' return.

The correct comparison with the Nazi German situation is with the U.S., not Israel. This latter, being an utter appendage of Washington/New York, is on a very short leash - unlike Germany, which had embarked on a project to contend for power of the first order. Washington Empires' complex articulations permit the 'constitutional' administration of localized fascism for short periods, avoiding the need to throw the whole system into a Nazi-style hysteria.

But fascism in general is still inextricably bound up with imperialism, and not with large body counts, a department in which bourgeois liberalism is the world champion.

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA